The Embody Freedom Practice (EFP) draws heavily from (but is not defined or limited by) the rich practices of Contemplative Dance & Authentic Movement. Each Embody Freedom Practice session includes:
- Exploration of spontaneous movement, contact improvisation and vocal / sound improvisation integrated with conscious witnessing practice;
- Creative forming through drawing, journaling, working with clay, etc;
- Deep listening and reflection.
Ongoing peer-based practice groups currently meet weekly at the One Sixteen Calverly studio space in Providence:
- A mixed gender group on Monday afternoons, 12:45pm-2:45pm, and
- A women’s only group on Thursday mornings, 10am-noon.
This is NOT a drop in practice– the depth of the container requires long term weekly commitment as well as considerable vulnerability, risk taking, strong boundaries, curiosity, confidentiality and a high degree of emotional and spiritual maturity. While no authentic movement experience is required, participants must have significant experience in contemplative practice and/or other embodied movement disciplines. Participants must also be comfortable with and open to exploring physical contact.
For more information, contact Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org .
“If our sanity is to be strong and flexible, there must be occasional periods for the expression of completely spontaneous movement . . . for following any motion to which the organism as a whole seems to be inclined.” –Alan Watts